Department of Obstetric & Gynaecological Nursing
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecological nursing was established in the year 1994. The
department takes pride in quality teaching and provides courses in Obstetrical and
Gynaecological nursing with theoretical and practical elements to undergraduate and
The department encourages student research in the core areas of women’s health,
reproductive health, high-risk pregnancy, neonatal care and related health areas pertaining to
women and newborns; and enable them to function as educators, managers and researchers in
the field of maternity nursing
Broad goals of the department:
- The department aims to bring the behavioral changes in each student by imparting knowledge and skill through quality education required to work and perform independently in various health care settings as midwife.
- To improve the midwifery practice and encourage a uniform standard of practice by providing evidence based care.
- Integrate the concept of family centred nursing approach in obstetrics through community participation.
- Empower the women by creating reproductive health awareness through outreach activities
- Child birth education unit, “NITTE Usha Maathr KSHEMA” has been initiated (February, 2020) in the OBG OPD premises of Justice K.S Hegde charitable hospital to provide Antenatal care, Lactation guidance and Family planning counseling.
- Value added course on Lactation educator training commenced since 2020 with intake
of 20 Students every year. 2 batches have been successfully completed.
- Clinical mentoring for IV year B. Sc (N) &III GNM students during OBG posting.
- Very good Academic results (UG-97% & PG -100%).
- Experienced & dedicated faculty.
- One faculty awarded with Doctoral degree and 1 faculty is enrolled for Ph.D.
- Commencement of value-added course on Infertility & Reproductive endocrinology
- Research collaboration with Pediatrics and OBG department, KSHEMA.
- Strengthening the services of Maathr KSHEMA through interdisciplinary collaborative efforts.
- Publishing Drug book on Midwifery
- All Faculties to undergo capacity building training program in Midwifery organized by INC
- The departmental lab is well equipped with birthing simulator to demonstrate the normal & abnormal mechanism of labour, OBG related models, flip charts, instruments, drugs, maternal pelvis & fetal skull.
- The students also get hands on experience in the Central Skill lab of Nitte Deemed to be University: NU-MEDISIM on simulated clinical experiences.
Justice K.S.Hegde Charitable Hospital which is a parent hospital having 90 bedded maternity ward. Students are given the best clinical experience in all the areas such as antenatal, labour ward, postnatal NICU, high risk, IVF centre & gynaec ward.
Research Thrust Areas
- The research thrust areas of OBG (N) Department include complementary
therapies for women during Ante partum, Intra partum and postpartum period.
- Departmental faculty has published original research article and concept
papers related to those areas in indexed journals.
Completed Research Projects 2020-2021
- Effect of gym ball exercise on dysmenorrhea among nursing students in a selected
- Effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge regarding the impact of
mobile phone usage among antenatal mothers
- Somatic symptoms and perceived stress among gynecological cancer survivors
undergoing radiation therapy dietary practices and gestational weight gain among
- Correlation between academic stress anxiety and self-esteem among
- Dietary practices and gestational weight gain among Antenatal mothers
Completed Research Projects 2021-2022
- Effectiveness of Marmet technique in production of breast milk among
mothers whose babies are in NICU
- Effectiveness of STP on dietary management among premenopausal women
- Maternal Satisfaction on Different Modes of Delivery among the Postnatal
- Profile on modes of delivery among intra partum mothers
- Video assisted teaching on premenstrual syndrome and the remedial measures
among adolescent girls
Ongoing Research Projects 2022-2023
- Dietary management among premenopausal women
- Effectiveness of marmet technique in production of breast milk among mothers.
- Maternal satisfaction on different modes of delivery among the postnatal mothers in a selected hospital.
- Knowledge on Antenatal care practices among Primigravida mothers.
- Effectiveness of STP on knowledge regarding factors influencing reproductive
health among adolescents in a selected school at Mangalore
- Relation between Gestational age of mother and anthropometric measurements of
- Dr. Sabitha Nayak presented a poster on “Exclusive breast feeding and weight of the
newborn on discharge in the Virtual International conference of ICM congress held at
Indonesia on 09/06/2021.
- Thomas T, Joseph J, Paul S. A study to assess the correlation between academic test
anxiety and self-esteem among undergraduate students. J Health Allied Sci NU ,
- Sabitha Nayak, Philomena Fernandes .Breast feeding-An essential newborn nutrient J
Health Allied Sci NU October 2022.
- Fernandes P, Nayak S. Effectiveness of Video Assisted Teaching on Knowledge
among ASHA Workers Regarding HPV Infection in a Selected Rural Community of
Mangaluru, India. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research.2021 Jan 1; 15(1).
- Thomas T, Kamath N, Kumar A, D’Silva F, Shetty PK. Prevalence and severity of
menopausal symptoms among women aged 48 -55 years – A community-based cross-
sectional study. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2021; 20(1):2.
- Thomas T, Kamath N, Kumar A, D’Silva F. Effect of Mind-Body Approaches on
Menopausal Symptoms among Women: A Community-Based Pilot Study. Journal of
Health and Allied Sciences NU 2021 May; 11(02):061-5.
- Jose A, Nayak S, Kamath N, Nalini M. The Mystery behind Relaxation Therapy:
Adieu to Premenstrual Syndrome. Journal of Health and Allied Sciences NU 2021
- Fernandes P, Nayak S. Knowledge of Antenatal Mothers Regarding Human Milk
Banking. Medico Legal Update.2020 Jul 24; 20(3):305-12.
- Thomas T, Kamath N, Kumar A. Mindfulness and Menopause-A Review. Journal of
Clinical & Diagnostic Research 2020 Jul 1;14(7)
- Paul S, Thomas T, Sebastian A. Correlation between BMD level and preventive
osteoporotic practice among menopausal women. Indian Journal of Public Health
Research & Development, June 2020, Vol.11, No.6, Page No: 909 -14.
- Nambiar Sreepriya K, Nayak Sabitha, Sujatha R. Effect of Nurse-led Programme on
Knowledge Regarding Identification of Warning Signs in Low Birth Weight Babies
among Post-natal Mothers in Selected Hospitals of Mangaluru. Nursing Journal of
India; New Delhi Vol. 111, Iss. 2, (Mar/Apr 2020): 58-63.
- Presented paper on “Dietary management among premenopausal women” during the 5 th
International conference on Futuristic Nursing held on 28 th , 29 th & 30 th October 2022
January 2022, organised by Narayana College of Nursing, Nellore, Andhra Pradesh,
India and Society for Nursing practices (SFNP)
- Presented paper on “Gym ball exercise on dysmenorrhoea among the nursing students”
during the Manipal International nursing research conclave held on 19 th to 22 nd January
2022, at Manipal college o0f nursing
- Presented paper on “Effect of cerviprime gel and vaginal misoprostal on labour
progress among Primigravida mothers” during the International webinar on “Pathway to
advanced Research: Statistical tests, Systematic Review and Meta Analysis” held on 21 st
and 22 nd January 2022, at Father Muller’s college of nursing.
- Presented paper on “Ginger Tea on dysmenorrhoea among the nursing students” during
the 1 st online/ Virtual International Conference on “Combating emerging infectious
diseases: Need for paradigm shift” held on 9 th to 10 th June 2020, at KLE academy of
higher education & research, Institute of nursing sciences, Belagavi.
- Association between age at menarche and gestational diabetes mellitus among antenatal
mothers- A case control study.
- A correlation between Bone Mineral Density level and preventive osteoporotic practice
among menopausal women attending orthopaedic OPD at the selected hospital in
Mangalore with a view to develop an information booklet.
- A retrospective study on maternal and foetal outcome among antenatal mothers with
hypertensive disorders and normal pregnancy.
- Effectiveness of information booklet on self-care management of patient receiving
chemotherapy among cancer survivors at selected hospital, Mangalore.
- A study on knowledge of antenatal mothers regarding human milk banking in a selected
hospital at Mangaluru with a view to develop an information booklet.
- A co relational study on exclusive breast feeding and weight of newborn on discharge in
postnatal unit of Justice K.S Hegde Hospital.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak was the Resource Person for the Webinar on Evidence based practice –Postnatal care organized by Department of Child health & OBG (N) at Kanachur college of Nursing Sciences, Deralakatte on 20/05/2021.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak was the Resource Person for the Webinar on Manuscript writing organized by Parul institute of Nursing on 12/07/2021.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak was the Resource Person for the Webinar on “Covid-19 and Breast feeding – Role of Midwives” organized by Department of OBG (N), KAHER Institute of Nursing Sciences, Belagavi, Karnataka - on the occasion of ‘World Breast Feeding Week’ August 2020.
The OBG Nursing department of Nitte Usha Institute of Nursing Sciences in collaboration with the OBG department of Justice K.S. Hegde Charitable Hospital has taken an initiative to
establish a Child Birth Education unit (Maathr KSHEMA) at OBG OPD. The unit was
inaugurated on 17.02.2020 at 10.30 am by Dr. Satheesh Kumar Bhandary, Vice Chancellor of
NITTE (Deemed to be University). The unit is designed to educate and prepare the pregnant
mother for a healthy diet during the prenatal period, positive birth experience, Lactation
counselling, newborn care and family planning counselling.
Community Extension Activities
- Organized a community outreach program on “Breast Cancer Awareness” at Shri
Shakthi Mahila Mandal, Anganwadi, Madyar on 29 th October 2021 between 2.00 pm
to 4.30 pm.
- Organized an extension activity on “Breast Cancer Awareness” at Balakrishna
Mandira Mahila Samithi, Kumpala on 3rd December 2020 between 2.pm to 4.30 pm.
- Organized an outreach programme on “Cervical cancer Awareness” at Guliga
koragajja sevasamithi bhavana, Assaigoli on 9th of August 2020 between 2.pm to
WHAT STARTS HERE
CHANGES THE WORLD