Research Thrust Areas
The research thrust areas of OBG (N) Department include complimentary therapies for women during labor and postpartum care and the faculty have published article related to those areas in indexed journals. Departmental faculty also interested to carry out research in other areas like high risk pregnancy, menopause, and gynecological cancer etc.
Ongoing Research Projects 2020-2021
- Effect of gym ball exercise on dysmenorrheal among nursing students in a selected college
- Dietary practices and gestational weight gain among antenatal mothers.
- Somatic symptoms and perceived stress among gynecological cancer services undergoing radiation therapy
- Effectiveness of planned teaching program on knowledge regarding the impact of mobile phone usage among antenatal mothers
- Knowledge on postnatal care among primipara mothers
- Correlation between academic test anxiety and self esteem among undergraduate students
- Nayak S Effectiveness of nurse led program on warning signs among postnatal mothers on Low birth weight babies. Nursing Journal of India, March- Apr 2020
- Paul S Effectiveness of Information Booklet on Self-Care Management of Patients Receiving Chemotherapy among Cancer Survivors. Medico legal update, July- Sep -2020, Vol.20.No.3
- Fernandes P Knowledge of Antenatal. Mothers Regarding Human Milk Banking” Medico-Legal Update, July-September 2020, Vol.20, Issue-3; page 305-312
- Thomas T, Kamath N, Kumar A. Mindfulness and menopause -A review- Journal of clinical Diagnostics and research, 2020Jul.vol-14(7):QE01-QE03
- Dr. Sabitha Nayak presented a paper on “A retrospective study on age at menarche and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus among antenatal mothers” at International webinar held in Father Muller College of Nursing from 04/08/2020-06/08/2020.
- Prof Shynee Paul presented a paper on “Information booklet on self care management of chemotherapy among gynecological cancer survivors” at International webinar held in Father Muller College of Nursing from 04/08/2020-06/08/2020.
- Prof. Philomena Fernandes presented a paper on “Ginger tea on dysmenorrhea among Nursing students” at Virtual International Conference held in Institute of Nursing Sciences, KAHER, Belagavi on 09/06/2020.
- Mrs. Timi Thomas presented a paper on “Effect of mind-body approaches on menopausal symptoms among women- A Pilot study” at Virtual National Conference held in Manipal College of Nursing on 25/09/2020.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak was the Resource Person for the Webinar on “Covid-19 and Breast feeding – Role of Midwives” organized by Department of OBG (N), KAHER Institute of Nursing Sciences, Belagavi, Karnataka - on the occasion of world Breast feeding week 2020.
Ongoing Research Projects 2017-2018
- Effect of aroma therapy by citrus aurantium (bitter orange) on pain and anxiety during first stage of labour among primi mothers.
- Effect of nurse led program on identification of warning signs in low birth weight babies among postnatal mothers.
- Effect of video teaching on comparison of maternal comfort and infant feeding behaviours between two breast feeding positions among postnatal mothers.
- Association between age at menarche and gestational diabetes mellitus among antenatal mothers- A case control study.
- A correlation between Bone Mineral Density level and preventive osteoporotic practice among menopausal women attending orthopaedic OPD at the selected hospital in Mangalore with a view to develop an information booklet.
- A retrospective study on maternal and foetal outcome among antenatal mothers with hypertensive disorders and normal pregnancy.
- Effectiveness of information booklet on self-care management of patient receiving chemotherapy among cancer survivors at selected hospital, Mangalore.
- A study on knowledge of antenatal mothers regarding human milk banking in a selected hospital at Mangaluru with a view to develop an information booklet.
- A co relational study on exclusive breast feeding and weight of newborn on discharge in postnatal unit of Justice K.S Hegde Hospital.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak published a paper on Breast feeding-A natural nutrient for infants lifelong health . International Journal of pediatrics, Neonatology and primary care. 2019. Vol1, 1.1, B 4-E 5.
- Fernandes P, Paul Shynee published a paper on “Ginger Tea on dysmenorrhoea among nursing students” Journal of health and allied sciences NU, 2019; 9:64-75.
- Sunanda B, Sabitha Nayak. A descriptive study on identifying Breastfeeding Problems among postnatal mothers. International Journal of Nursing Education, July –September, 2017, Volume 10, No: 3:50-54
- Timi Thomas, Neetha Kamath. Women natural transition; Nature supports in climacteric life. International Journal of Nursing Education, October- December 2017, Vol9, No.4; 144-47.
- Shynee Paul, Lived experience of women diagnosed with breast cancer: A qualitative study, International journal of applied research, August 2017;3(8), 428-433
- Shynee Paul, Effectiveness of Video-Assisted Teaching on Breast Crawl among nursing students of selected Nursing Institutes at Mangalore. Nitte University Journal of Health Science. 2017 Sep 1;7(3).30-32
- Philomena Fernandes, Dept of Obstetrics and Gynaecological nursing published a paper on “Usage of caffeine and menopausal symptoms among women in a selected rural area at Mangaluru”. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, Vol. 9, Issue 1, ISSN: 0976-3031, 2018 January.23083-23088
- Sabitha Nayak, Sunanda. Relationship between morning sickness during pregnancy and infant gender among post natal mothers. i- managers- journal on Nursing, Vol-7, No-2, May- July 2017, Page No- 21-26.
- Sabitha Nayak, A study on challenges faced by mothers and coping strategies adopted by them during the postpartum period: JSAFOG, Vol-9, No-4,ISSN-0974-8938:October –December 2017;348-355.
- Prof. Sabitha Nayak presented a paper on Relationship between pregnancy weight gain, gestational age and neonatal weight gain among postnatal mothers - presented a paper at International conference of Neonatal Nursing and maternal health congress held at Holiday Inn, Singapore on 14th and 15th May 2018.
- Mrs. Shynee Paul presented a paper on “Effectiveness of PTP regarding pubertal changes among the adolescent girls” on 23rd November 2018 at International nursing conference organized by KLE Academy of higher education & research, Belagavi on the topic “Is our nursing practice Evidence based? A review of essential skills in health care and nursing education”.
- Mrs. Timi Thomas presented a paper on “Comparison of two breast feeding positions on maternal comfort and infant feeding behaviors among postnatal mothers” on 23rd November 2018 at International nursing conference organized by KLE Academy of higher education & research, Belagavi on the topic “Is our nursing practice Evidence based? A review of essential skills in health care and nursing education”.
- Mrs. Sunanda. B presented a paper on “Retrospective study on fetal and maternal outcome among mothers with hypertensive disorders in pregnancy” in a regional workshop ‘A Step ahead in research’ in father Muller college of Nursing on 20th July 2019.
- Prof.ShyneePaul, Effect of sprouted Ragi Vs plain Ragi on Haemoglobin level among nursing students with anaemia in a selected college at Mangalore, 14th International Nurse’s Conference, on 10 & 11th January organized by SRM UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI.
- Prof. Sabitha nayak, Qualitative study on the challenges faced by the postnatal mothers on 3rd November 2017 at 4th International conference on “Stress Management” organized by Stress Management association, Goa.
- Prof.Philomena Fernandes, “Effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge of polycystic ovarian syndrome among adolescent girls” 14th International Nurse’s Conference, on 10 & 11th January organized by SRM UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
Prof. Sabitha Nayak was the Resource Person for the CNE on Material Management –Inventory control to the staff nurses of Justice K.S.Hegde charitable hospital on 31/8/2018.
- Timi Thomas presented a poster on “The need for exploring innovative ethical response: A philosophic religious appraisal” held at Father Muller Medical College on 22nd November 2017.