Department of Paediatric (Child Health) Nursing
The paediatric nursing department is a crucial part of healthcare, providing specialized care for infants, children, and adolescents. These professionals address the unique physical, emotional, and developmental needs of young patients, collaborating with interdisciplinary teams to formulate comprehensive care plans. They also educate parents on child health, including developmental milestones, nutrition, and safety. Specialized areas within the department include neonatal nursing, intensive care nursing, paediatric oncology nursing, and paediatric cardiac nursing. The paediatric nursing department is crucial in providing comprehensive, compassionate care to children and adolescents, focusing on preventive measures, health promotion, and managing diverse healthcare needs.
The strengths of the department as follows
- Well qualified and experienced PG faculty
- Adequate availability of resources, Well equipped lab facility for practice
- Autonomy/flexibility in designing the curriculum, Inter-disciplinary collaboration
- Conducts health appraisal services for school children
- Started value added course on ELNEC Palliative care in 2016
- Excellent academic performance (UG-95% with 12% distinction & PG -100%)
The department conducts team based interdisciplinary care. Details as follows
- NSPECC- NITTE SPECIAL CHILD CARE is a collaborative Multidisciplinary health care program of Nitte Deemed to be University with Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan Govt. of Karnataka to improve the healthcare of specially-able children through team-based care. The department Conducted 235 regular health programs and covered 2419 children/students and their parents (26th September 2021)
- Paediatric surgical counselling sessions are conducted for children with Hypospadias & Habitual constipation from 2016 onwards
- Every year world breast feeding celebrations are conducted for mothers in Anganwadies, and Primary health centres
- To commemorate Children's Day, ophthalmic and dental screening camps are held at schools and orphanages
- Lab Facilities
The college has a well-equipped Child Health Nursing Lab that provides students with hands-on experience in various pediatric procedures. This specialized lab is designed to enhance students' skills and knowledge in the field of child health care. In order to adequately educate and prepare future paediatric nurses, the Child Health Nursing Lab is essential. This specialised lab is intended to give students an immersive, hands-on learning experience while providing them with the fundamental knowledge and skills required to care for new-borns, children, and adolescents. Modern simulation technology is present in the lab, with lifelike paediatric mannequins that replicate a range of scenarios and health issues. Through realistic simulations, students enhance their skills in evaluating, diagnosing, and intervening in paediatric health issues. In paediatric nursing, where contacts with young patients and their families are essential, the lab also helps students build good communication and teamwork skills. Apart from imparting technical knowledge, the Child Health Nursing Lab prioritises a caring and child-focused methodology, stressing the significance of establishing a comforting and nurturing atmosphere for paediatric patients. All things considered, the Department of Child Health Nursing Lab is essential to developing knowledgeable and compassionate paediatric nurses who are equipped to handle the particular difficulties involved in providing care for the youngest members of our society.
Additionally, students have the opportunity to gain practical experience in the Central Skill Lab of Nitte (Deemed to be University) known as NU-MEDISIM, where they engage in simulated clinical experiences. This exposure allows students to apply theoretical knowledge in a controlled environment, preparing them for real-world scenarios. The combination of the Child Health Nursing Lab and NU-MEDISIM ensures a comprehensive and immersive learning experience, equipping students with the necessary competencies for a successful career in pediatric nursing.
K.S. Hegde Hospital offers outstanding clinical exposure to the students, especially in paediatric specialist areas. The students' practical abilities and comprehension of paediatric care are much improved by this exposure. Notably, prominent establishments like Mumbai's Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children offer exceptional chances for second-year postgraduate students to obtain specialised experience.