Department of Mental Health Nursing
The department of Psychiatric nursing aims to impart quality education in the field of Mental Health Nursing to Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Nursing students providing quality care in the areas of Preventive, Promotive, Curative and Rehabilitative aspects of Mental Health nursing.
Aims of Department:
Objectives of the Department:
- Impart quality education in the field of mental health nursing to undergraduate and post graduate students
- Provide Evidence Based Nursing care for mentally ill patients in the focus on Promotive, Preventive and Rehabilitative aspects.
Faculty in the Department
- Develop a positive attitude in the care of mentally ill patients
- Develop a skill in history taking and Mental Status Examination
- Develop communication skills
- Give the highest quality of care by applying psychiatric nursing approach
- Collaborate and coordinate with the multidisciplinary team in the hospital and in the community for the promotion of mental health
- Create awareness about the problems of individuals at different developmental stages
- Provide preventive, promotive and rehabilitative care to mentally ill client in the hospitals and in the community.
|Mrs. Nalini M
||M. Sc(N), Ph. D
||Assoc. Professor & HOD
|Ms Joyce Mable D’Souza
University results of the Year 2016-17 (Mental Health Nursing)
Innovative Teaching Method Adopted in the Department
The department has provided varied teaching and learning methods to enhance the student’s knowledge in delivering proficient nursing care.
||Total No. of Students Appeared
||No.of Students Passed
||Name of the Subject Topper
|III B.SC (N) 2014-2018
||Ms. Pema YangstoMs. Jili Mary Jose
|II M.SC (N)
||Ms. Shreya Chakraborthy
- Panel discussion
- Case discussion
- Symptom analysis
- Video CD on Electro convulsive therapy
- Journal Club
- Modular Learning
Student funded UG 1Ph.D – Thesis 1
- Clinical teaching,
- Bed side Nursing rounds
- Field visit
- Old age home visit
- Case presentation
- Case discussion.
- Drug Exhibition
- Assess the level of depression, anxiety and stress among post hysterectomy women at selected hospital at Mangalore.
- Relationship between depressive symptoms with vitamin D level among nursing students in a view to develop information booklet-
- Effectiveness of human rights education program on knowledge among nurses
Paper Publications for the Year 2016-17
- Initiated occupational unit in psychiatric ward KSHEMA (2010)
- Developed restraints for aggressive & violent clients to restraints them (2010)
- Developed video CD on Electroconvulsive therapy (2012)
- Departmental faculty were investigators for the Extramural research funded by UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, South India Unit, on “International Multicentre Randomized clinical trial on the outcomes using the spiritually augmented cognitive behavior therapy (SACBT) for a cohort of patients with Demoralization and depression” .
- 2 faculty from the department had undergone Life Skill Training Program in NIMHANS
Paper Presentation 2016-17
||Mrs .Nalini M
||Interrelation of level of urinary cotinine and score for fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence among Beedi smokers and smokeless tobacco users in India
||Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. Vol. 39 Issue 4, July 31, 2017ISSN- 0253-7176
Extension Activities of the Department:
WORLD ALZHEIMER’S DAY-2016
||Relationship between blood glucose level and depressive symptoms among antenatal women
||3rd International conference on rehabilitation of persons with mental illness-Nurses perspectives
||A systematic review on FTND score with urinary cotinine level among tobacco users
||PSYCHON-17- Updates on managing psychiatric emergencies
|-Ms.Joyce D’Souza-Ms.Joyce Mable (Poster)
||Depression –Let’s talk -POSTER
||Conference on “Depression –Let’s talk”
||AJ institute of Medical science and LMCON –Mangaluru
The world Alzheimer’s day was observed by the department of Mental Health Nursing in Devinagara anganawadi premises, Thalapady, Mangaluru on 28th September 2016. On this occasion the department organized awareness program on the theme: “Remember Me”. The students of 3rdyear B. Sc (N) enacted role play on symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Around 50 people from the village benefited from the program.
OBSERVATION OF WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY
The World Mental Health day was observed by the department of Psychiatric nursing on 26/10/2016 at Olavinahalli home for destitute, Thalapady Mangaluru. Sr. Lucy Rodrigues Superior, Olavinahalli home for destitute, inaugurated the programme. Dr. Nithin Ambekar Psychiatrist, KSHEMA, was the Resource person who addressed on the theme “Psychological First Aid”. There were around 150 Beneficiaries.
Life Skill Training Program
Life skill training was organized by the Department of Mental Health (Psychiatric) Nursing on 17 February 2017 at Govt. High school, Pavoor. The students of 9 standard participated in the training programme.75 school children benefited from the programme.
CONTINUING NURSING EDUCATION
Continuing nursing education was organized on 27 February 2017 at 2pm on the topic “Communication as a vital tool for patient care” Mrs Liji Sara Varghese resource person elaborately explained about communication and its importance in patient care
Department of Mental Health Nursing, organized a Guest lecture on ‘Manage yourself and lead others ‘on 21st March 2017 at Seminar Hall Justice K.S Hegde Charitable Hospital Deralakatte, Mangalore. Dr. L.S Ganesh, Professor Department of Management Studies, IIT, Madras was the Guest Speaker.38 faculty and III Year B.Sc Nursing Students were participated